San Luis Obispo, Calif. (January 2021) – As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, health (mental and physical) has never been more important with meditation up 2,900 percent globally and the demand for wellness therapies expected to surpass medical treatments this year; SLO CAL® (San Luis Obispo County) can aid in these 2021 healthy resolutions. Located halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, SLO CAL is a place where wellness – mind, body and soul - is part of the destination’s core DNA from year-round outdoor recreation with a view (e.g. biking, kayaking, hiking, etc.) to farm fresh foods and fitness retreats.
SLO CAL is also the headquarters of Mindbody, the leading technology platform for the wellness industry. The 2021 Mindbody Wellness Index found almost 60 percent of Americans are more focused on their health and wellness since the pandemic began and 31 percent are interested in trying no-touch spa services, such as a mineral soak in one of SLO CAL’s hot springs. The destination even sounds soothing — check out this playlist for relaxation and inducing a calmer mindset.
As the perfect location to experience a mental detox and healthier lifestyle in 2021, here are a few examples of SLO CAL adventures that improve overall wellbeing.
The Restorative Power of Nature
SLO CAL’s scenic coastal beauty offers a way to connect and commune with the natural world in a spot that is much less crowded than other California destinations.
- Ragged Point – Known as the gateway to Big Sur, this much-photographed coastline is home to hiking trails dotted with babbling waterfalls, lush forest and spectacular vistas towering 400 feet above Pacific blue waters. Secluded beaches, churning surf and whale sightings make for a refreshing escape.
- Elephant Seals at Piedras Blancas – Once nearly extinct, approximately 17,000 of these giant marine mammals—males can reach 5,000 pounds (2.3 metric tons)—come ashore twice a year. Seals can be seen year-round, but the peak times are late January, April and October.
- The Whale Trail – The Whale Trail looks over the waters of one of our nation's most spectacular marine protected areas, offering some of the best wildlife viewing in the world, including 34 species of marine mammals.
- Morro Bay – Leave it all behind as you immerse yourself in Morro Bay State Park, which features a lagoon and natural bay habitat. With its iconic namesake rock formation as a centerpiece, Morro Bay is also one of California’s greatest kayaking destinations for sharing the waters with harbor seals, sea lions, sea otters and other marine life.
In SLO CAL, visitors can experience the present moment exactly as it is, without resistance or judgment — the definition of mindfulness.
- SLO County Farm Trail – On the Farm Trail, visitors can choose their own agricultural adventure and learn the stories behind SLO CAL’s fertile soil. It introduces visitors to local farms, ranches and food purveyors, from handcrafted alpaca goods to organic lavender essential oils.
- Rinconada Dairy Farm & Stay Adventures – Stay for a few nights at this colorful Santa Margarita hacienda and enjoy rustic luxury. If you’re game, you can help milk and feed the animals or gather apples, pomegranates and quince from the orchards. It’s the ideal escape from the everyday.
- SLO CAL Wine Country – With more than 250 wineries spread among two major wine grape-growing regions—Paso Robles and the San Luis Obispo wine country—SLO CAL offers a variety of vineyard excursions. From “Sustainability in Practice” (SIP)-certified tastings to experiences like beekeeping, California’s third largest wine region has mindfulness at its core.
- Sagrada Yoga Retreats – Positioned on a majestic hilltop surrounded by preserved land in Santa Margarita, Sagrada Wellness is known for its boutique-style Yoga Retreats, its sacred Sanctuary, delicious rustic cuisine and outstanding acupuncture services.
Spas That Go Beyond the Ordinary
Relax and recharge your soul with therapeutic treatments at SLO CAL’s world famous spas and healing mineral springs.
- Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort & Spa – This resort features 72 guest rooms, each with its own individual hot mineral spring tubs on private balconies or patios. Additionally, guests can experience the restorative power of naturally heated mineral water at the Oasis Waterfall Lagoon or hillside, tree-canopied hot tub.
- The Spa at Madonna Inn – There’s no place on earth like Madonna Inn, a spot whose unique décor and exceptional service has made it famous the whole world over. At the inn’s day spa, enjoy personalized techniques designed to relax and de-stress the body.
- Spa Cerro – Inspired by SLO CAL’s land and sea, the 4,000-square-foot Spa Cerro provides a range of health and wellness options that capture the uniqueness of the region. Rejuvenate with treatments imbued with the nutrients from Central Coast sea salts and kelp forests as well as the restorative properties from local vines, citrus, honey, olive, avocado and lavender.
- River Oaks Hot Spring Spa – Located in Paso Robles wine country, River Oaks provides access to a private vineyard-view mineral tub for the ultimate “sip and soak” relaxation experience. The resort also offers bath salts infused with Paso Zinfandel, allowing guests to receive the full antioxidant benefits from wine as they soak.
For more information and inspiration for planning a SLO CAL wellness getaway, visit www.slocal.com.
About Visit SLO CAL
Visit SLO CAL is a team of destination marketing professionals who work with, and on behalf of, our community, and local partners and our investors to promote SLO CAL® (San Luis Obispo County) to both domestic and international visitors. As the countywide non-profit destination marketing and management organization (DMMO) for SLO CAL, Visit SLO CAL’s goal is to collaborate with partners to build the SLO CAL brand through a data-driven, efficient and dynamic marketing and sales program while simultaneously enhancing the resident quality of life. Built on research with a strategy of continuous improvement, Visit SLO CAL aims to establish SLO CAL as a favorite West Coast destination known for its signature slower pace of life and unique mix of incredible, immersive guest experiences. For more information, visit SLOCAL.com.