Located on Monterey Street in downtown San Luis Obispo, Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, the fifth of the 21 missions, was founded in 1772 by Father Junipero Serra and named after Saint Louis, Bishop of Toulouse, France. San Luis Obispo de Tolosa was the first mission to use red, fire-resistant clay tiles for the roof due to repeated fires to the original thatched roof. The museum features a rare collection of early California photographs and artifacts, authentic Chumash Indian vessels and the original Mission altar. www.missionsanluisobispo.org
Mission San Miguel Arcangel, the 16th mission, was founded in 1797 by Father Fermin de Lasuen and named for Saint Michael the Arcangel. Under the direction of Esteban Munras, Indian artisans painted the walls and ceilings with ornate designs and the original murals still exist today. San Miguel Arcangel, located at 775 Mission Street in San Miguel, is one of the few missions that remains as originally constructed. www.missionsanmiguel.org.