WHAT’S NEW IN SLO CAL® FOR 2019
SLO CAL® (San Luis Obispo County), located on California’s Central Coast, brings together the best of the Golden State, with 80 miles of coastline and beaches along Highway 1, the third-largest wine region in the state, a rich history (including the iconic Hearst Castle) and outdoor adventures on land and on the sea. Discover SLO CAL’s latest and greatest here.
SLO CAL Hotel News
- With an anticipated opening in Spring 2019 in the historic village of Arroyo Grande, the Agrarian Hotel will offer its guests accommodations walking distance to shops, tasting rooms and restaurants. This 50-room boutique hotel’s design encompasses the spirit of Arroyo Grande with amenities to comfort all guests.
- Slated to welcome its first guests in Spring 2019, Vespera on Ocean is a beachfront hotel located along the Pismo Beach coast. With a “beach house-inspired design” the hotel offers 124 guestrooms, many of which boast private balconies with ocean views. An outdoor fire pit, beachfront pool deck, direct beach access, and an event lawn make this hotel unlike any other.
- Located just one block from the Historic Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, Hotel SLO grants visitors a premier destination to explore downtown San Luis Obispo. Take in views of the surrounding city in one of the 78 luxurious rooms and suites while enjoying the on-site spa, garden courtyard, pool and gym. Hotel SLO plans to open its doors this spring.
- With “sophistication and sustainability” in mind, Hotel Cerro is slated to open in Downtown San Luis Obispo in September 2019. It features three different accommodation styles, guest rooms, suites and residences, to cater to each traveler’s needs. With a unique rooftop pool, morning yoga classes and complimentary bikes, Hotel Cerro puts wellness at the forefront.
- Opening in early summer 2019, The Piccolo Hotel, owned by and adjacent to the Paso Robles Inn, will feature 23 hotel suites with a street frontage hosting the lobby, lounge and a library as well as a tasting room that will fully connect to 12th Street.
- Opening in summer 2019, the Front Street Cottages will be Morro Bay’s newest accommodations with unobstructed views of Morro Rock. The boutique hotel is designed with families and large gatherings in mind, with six individual private condos with kitchenettes, decks or balconies, and shared barbeque spaces.
- MARMFARM, a new AIR BNB, VRBO and events space in Edna Valley, opened its doors on February 1, 2019. Perfect for entertaining and events. MARMFARM offers a wide variety of event packages from a rehearsal dinner space, to ceremony and elopement packages, and even birthday and anniversary parties. 360-degree views of vineyards and rolling hills surround the home.
- Freshly opened in Santa Margarita, Riata Ranch is a new luxury vacation rental and event venue. The 1,200-acre property features the majestic Ranch House and multiple locations for special events. Unique tent tipis can accommodate up to 200 guests, offering a fun and festive atmosphere you won't find anywhere else.
- Cava Robles, a luxury RV and cabin ‘glamping’ site recently opened in the heart of Paso Robles. With cottage rentals and full RV hook-ups, guests can experience access to resort amenities in a new environment. Two outdoor pools, walking trails, and on-site wine tasting make this pet-friendly RV resort fun for the whole family.
The SLO Craft Beverage Scene
- As Paso Robles’ newest addition to SLOCAL’s booming craft beer scene, The Backyard will feature 24 taps of craft brews. Refurbished metal storage containers will be up-cycled and used for this outdoor area. With corn hole, shuffleboard and a kid’s game area, the whole family’s invited.
- Recently opened in January, Central Coast Distillery, a boutique distillery, offers hand-crafted virtuous single batch spirits. Their unconventional approach to the age-old craft of distilling has led them to venture out and create a range of spirits that complement a healthy lifestyle and can be enjoyed free of guilt.
Fresh Adventures & Experiences
- History buffs, start your engines. The Highway 1 Discovery Route, the newest addition to California’s central coast’s award-winning Stewardship Travel Program, beckons visitors to connect deeper and give back while on vacation. Step back in time along this iconic stretch of Highway 1 in SLO CAL, exploring landmarks that shaped Central Coast history, including train depots, ports, ranchos, and a jail. Preserved schoolhouses, townsites and homes show how early SLO County residents once lived, from adobes to the infamous Hearst Castle. Educational and conservation activities including sea kayaking in Cayucos, trail and habitat reservation in Montana de Oro State Park, historic lighthouse tours, and beach clean-ups in Cambria, Avila Beach, Cayucos and San Simeon.
- With Highway 1 now open, Hearst Castle continues to attract visitors from around the world looking to experience William Randolph Hearst’s lavish lifestyle and wonder at the newspaper magnate’s impressive collection of 14th to 17th century fine and decorative European art. New in 2019 is the reopening of the grand Neptune Pool, the ornate centerpiece of the sprawling grounds. Closed for four years, the renovation included removal of more than 9,000 square feet of tiny marble tiles, the repair of the concrete shell, the replacement of tiles with thousands of new marble tiles sourced from the original quarry in Vermont and the restoration of the Art Deco sculptures.
- Sensorio (a gift for the senses) is a brand-new 380-acre, immersive, experiential open-air exhibit space in Paso Robles. The premiere exhibit, opening in Spring 2019, will be an installation by world-renown artist, Bruce Munro. Entitled “Field of Light,” 15 acres of rolling hillsides will be adorned with thousands of strategically placed LED lights, allowing visitors to walk and immerse themselves in the illuminated work.
New Direct Flights Added
As a result of increased travel to SLO CAL, beginning April 2, 2019, San Luis Obispo Regional Airport will offer direct flights to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. This additional flight, via American Airlines, will allow ease of transportation for those traveling throughout SLO CAL.
- SLO Comedy Festival (February 22-25): Enjoy non-stop comedy with 20 awesome shows at 10 great SLO CAL venues during the ninth annual SLO Comedy Festival.
- Central Coast Craft Beer Festival (March 30, 2019): The second annual Central Coast Craft Beer Fest, presented by the Central Coast Brewers Guild, will feature over 40+ breweries, plus cideries and wineries, all soundtracked by live music at the beautiful and spacious Sunken Gardens in Atascadero.
- Morro Bay Kite Festival (April 27-28, 2019): The Morro Bay Kite Festival is a FREE annual event for kite enthusiasts and families on the beach just north of Morro Rock. Morro Bay offers some of the best kite-flying wind in the world. Come enjoy a fun family event for all ages and lifestyles.
- Paso Robles Wine Festival (May 17-20, 2019): Taste wines from 70+ wineries at the 37th Annual Paso Robles Wine Festival. Enjoy winemaker dinners, a seminar and the Grand Tasting event in the downtown Paso Robles park. Venture into wine country for events at more than 100 wineries all weekend long.
# # #