I Love Where I Live: Join Me at San Luis Obispo's Greek Festival!
If you love delicious food, enjoy a rousing good time, and have a yen to experience different cultures, then this event is FOR YOU!
San Luis Obispo's Annual Greek Festival is a whirlwind of good times when the festival takes over the downtown Mission Plaza on the weekend of June 2nd & 3rd and presents the curious with two fun-filled days of authentic Greek culture - including fabulous food, music, and traditional folk-dancing. Have you been yearning to visit Greece, like me? Then head over to this festival and experience the friendliness of these folks, who put on this annual fundraiser for the local St. Andrews Greek Orthodox Church.
If you're a foodie, this event is a "must do!" My head starts spinning with all the freshly prepared authentic Greek food I'm able to taste at this event. Just a preview of what you can enjoy includes:
- Moussaka - a lasagna-type casserole using eggplant
- Domades - seasoned beef wrapped in grape leaf
- Spanakopita - spinach, onion, herbs, feta all encased in golden phyllo
- Souvlaki - marinated, seasoned skewers of pork, slowly roasted over the BBQ
- Loukaniko - a special Greek sausage made with orange zest and red wine
- Gyros & Falafel Sandwiches
- Baklava - a nutty buttery phyllo pastry, served up hot just from the oven
- Galaktobouriko - the royalty of Greek desserts: a sweet custard filling with a hint of citrus and clove encased in a crisp phyllo, drenched with sweet syrup
Like I said this is just a preview of the many homemade, authentic Greek dishes you can enjoy. And, I particularly enjoy being able to confab with the folks selling the food, as it's often the same person who prepared it. Let's face it, who hasn't yearned for that perfect baklava or spanakopita recipe?
There's something about the Greek people's friendliness and willingness to share their culture that's infectious. Chances are they'll have you up dancing along with the best of them!
The festival takes place on Saturday, June 2nd from 11am - 7pm and Sunday, June 3rd from 11am - 4pm at San Luis Obispo's Downtown Mission Plaza.
So, go hungry and be sure to put on those dancing shoes....
Central Coast Food Tours