September 6, 2011 (San Luis Obispo County, Calif.) - September is California Wine Month and the San Luis Obispo County wine community's more than 250 wineries and 36,000 vineyard acres are raising a toast to this proclamation made by Governor Jerry Brown and the San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors, shepherded by the Wine Institute. San Luis Obispo County is made up of four distinct American Viticulture Areas (AVAs): Arroyo Grande, Edna Valley, Paso Robles and York Mountain making more than 50 wine varietals in a variety of styles. These family businesses invite wine enthusiasts to join them during California Wine Month to celebrate the vibrant wine culture in San Luis Obispo County.
A number of events and wine specials are scheduled across San Luis Obispo County to celebrate California Wine Month. Most notable among them is the destination food and wine event, Sunset SAVOR the Central Coast 2011, taking place September 29 through October 2 in the communities of San Luis Obispo County. This four-day series of events includes the Marketplace at the Main Event featuring more than 200 Central Coast wineries and unique winemaker dinners where you will taste the bounty of the region and meet the personalities behind the product. Wine enthusiasts can choose from the enchanting Mission Plaza Heritage Dinner in San Luis Obispo on October 1, sponsored by the City of San Luis Obispo, www.SanLuisObispoVacations.com; the magical Paso Glow Dinner in Paso Robles on October 1, sponsored by the Travel Paso Robles Alliance, www.TravelPaso.com, and the prestigious Sunset Western Wine Awards in Pismo Beach on September 30, a ceremony recognizing the West's finest vintners, sponsored by the City of Pismo Beach, www.ClassicCalifornia.com. For information and to purchase main event tickets to Sunset SAVOR the Central Coast 2011 events, please visit www.SavorCentralCoast.com.
In celebration of San Luis Obispo County's $1.8 billion industry contribution to the California wine industry the San Luis Obispo County Visitors and Conference Bureau is holding a month-long sweepstakes for two pairs of winners to enjoy an all-inclusive weekend at the region's upcoming harvest festival events. Enter to win a weekend either:
· Paso Robles Harvest Wine Weekend, October 21-23, or
· San Luis Obispo Wine Country Rockin' Harvest, November 4-6
Both packages will include winery tours with hands-on experiences, vintner dinners, balloon rides over the vineyards, behind the scene tours of Hearst Castle and lodging for two. To enter, visit the SLO County Visitors and Conference Bureau website at www.SanLuisObispoCounty.com between September 1 and 30, and ‘Like' on Facebook. Winners will be announced October 1 at the Sunset SAVOR the Central Coast 2011 Main Event at the Santa Margarita Ranch. (Winners need not be present to win.)
Apart from events held within the county, San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles vintners - including nominees for the Sunset Western Wine Awards - will take their show on the road, pouring wines under the auspices of the Paso Robles Wine Country Alliance and San Luis Obispo Vintners Association this September, including:
· Vanderbilt Hall, Grand Central Station , New York, NY, September 14, 2:00-5:00 p.m., Media and Trade Tasting
· California Wine Rush - Ferry Building San Francisco, CA, September 17, 12:00-3:00 p.m., Consumer Tasting, General Admission $45, www.CaliforniaWineMonth.EventBrite.com
· K&L Wine Merchants, Hollywood, CA, September 23, 5:00 p.m. Media Tasting; 5:30-7:30 p.m., Consumer Tasting, Admission $5, www.klwines.com/local_events.asp#2Additionally, several San Luis Obispo County wineries will commemorate California Wine Month with special offers for guests throughout September. For more information on special promotions at San Luis Obispo County wineries in honor of California Wine Month, please visit www.SanLuisObispoCounty.com, Paso Robles Wine Country Alliance at www.PasoWine.com or the San Luis Obispo Vintners Association at www.SloWine.com.
About the San Luis Obispo Visitors and Conference Bureau
The San Luis Obispo County Visitors and Conference Bureau promotes San Luis Obispo County through branding, marketing, public relations and group sales. Its member base is comprised of over 500 tourism industry-related businesses including lodging properties, restaurants, wineries, golf courses and retail stores. For more information on the VCB, please visit www.SanLuisObispoCounty.com or contact Molly Morrison Cano at 805.781.2531 or MollyM@SanLuisObispoCounty.com.