by Whitney Diaz, www.winecoastcountry.com
There are a variety of affordable (or even free) ways to experience all that Wine Coast Country has to offer. They will leave travelers feeling satisfied and leave their wallets full. Here are our top picks for the best hiking trails in San Luis Obispo County.
1. Hearst/San Simeon State Park features a variety of trails that range from easy to difficult. Hikers can take their pick. Some offer coastal views, countryside romps or mountainous peaks. There truly is something for everyone here.
2. Dunes Trail to Hazard Canyon Reef in Montana de Oro State Park parallels the ocean bluffs across scrub-covered dunes from Spooner's Cove. But it can sometimes get chilly, so bring a sweater.
3. Oso Flaco Lake Trail begins on the road and heads toward the ocean and dunes in Oceano.
4. Reservoir Canyon Trail just outside of San Luis Obispo, Calif. is more than six miles roundtrip and can be difficult. But it's best in the spring as the blooming wildflowers blanket the hills.
5. Black Hill Trail in Morro Bay near the Morro Bay Golf Course gently winds up for the first half-mile but grows steeper as it nears the peak. Once you reach the top, views are spectacular.
There are so many affordable things to do in Wine Coast Country. For more information, visit www.WineCoastCountry.com/slo/top-5-outdoor-adventures.