OVER 40 YEARS OF PIONEERING
Baileyana, Tangent & True Myth is a family wine company in the truest sense. Our patriarch, Jack Niven, pioneered wine grape planting in the Edna Valley in the early 1970s, and today, his children and grandchildren are carrying on his legacy. We believe in sustainability, quality, community, innovation, tradition (when warranted), and educating consumers in the ever-changing world of wine.
We grow eleven different grape varieties, and make an extreme range of wines in a wide array of carefully focused styles. This allows us to showcase the diversity of our cool-climate, SIP-certified sustainable vineyard located in California’s Edna Valley, the historic Paragon Vineyard. No other wine company, whether corporately held or family-owned, grows grapes and makes such a broad spectrum of wines from a single cool-climate estate. Rather than group all of these efforts under one wine brand, the Nivens have strategically positioned them as five separate projects for you to enjoy: Baileyana, Tangent & True Myth, plus Zocker and Trenza.
Come visit our tasting room at the historic Independence Schoolhouse, built in 1909. Taste a selection of wines chosen from our 30+ different white and red offerings across all five of our brands. Browse our enticing shop stocked with gourmet foods and charming gifts, as well as the entire lineup of our family's wines: Baileyana, Tangent & True Myth, plus Zocker and Trenza.
We have plenty of outdoor seating and a lawn area for blankets or your own chairs, with views across the vines from the valley to the mountains, plus two regulation Bocce ball courts. So bring a picnic or buy cheese, salami and crackers from us while you sip and enjoy the ambiance that is the Edna Valley. Our tasting room is family-friendly and leashed dogs are permitted outdoors. Outside alcohol and smoking are not permitted. We are open daily from 10 am to 5 pm (Please call for holiday hours). Our last tasting flight starts at 4:45pm, and last bottle sale for onsite consumption is 4:30 pm.
Visits to our tasting room can take many forms, from a tasting session to an afternoon spent sipping wine in the sunshine, and can last anywhere from under 30 minutes to several hours:
• Wine purchase: All our wine is available for purchase to consume on-site or to go and we also offer a limited selection of wines by-the-glass
• Regular Tasting: You can taste a flight of five wines at our inside bar, or outside seating may be available. Our tasting fee is $15 (one fee waived with a 2-bottle purchase, or Club Membership sign-up waives up to 6 tasting fees)
• Collector’s Flight: For true wine-lovers, taste a flight of our most exclusive wines. Enjoy a seated tasting accompanied with local cheese and charcuterie. Space is very limited with a maximum of eight seats per session. Reservations required. Non-refundable $30 fee per person, with significant savings on wine purchases
• Group Tasting: Reservations are required for groups of 8 or more, where we offer a seated outdoor tasting. For this, we charge a $16.50 non-refundable charge per person and offer a 15% discount on any wine purchases.
• Large Groups: For larger groups of 15 to 40 people, we offer the alternative option of renting tables under our grape pergola and buying wine by the bottle, rather than each person tasting through our wine flight. Our maximum group size is 40 and we cannot take reservations after 2pm. The charge for the group is $30 per hour (minimum 2 hours)