The Heritage House was built in the late 1800's. Records show that the house was sold to Charles A. Pitkin in 1895. In 1906 the house was sold to Dr. H.S. Walters and was known as "Dr. Walter's Sanatorium." In 1948 after many owners, the house was changed into a duplex and the Travis and Roundtree families were the occupants. In 1961, the Roundtrees sold the house to the Travises. Then in 1976 the house was sold to the City of Arroyo Grande and was used as a daycare center. It also house the City Recreation Department. The Historical Society acquired the house in 1997 and did major restoration work to turn it into a visitor's center and museum. A gazebo and garden were added to provide a beautiful setting for weddings and other social events. Volunteers from the Historical Society, local residents and local businesses provided manpower and funds for this undertaking. The museum has an interesting collection of period clothing, photographs and kitchen items, just to name a few. And docents are availbale to answer any of your questions. The Heritage House Museum is open to the public on Saturday from Noon to 3:00PM and Sunday from 1:00 to 3:00PM. Rain closes. Donations accepted.