The only one of its kind in California, it is in the middle of town in an area known as "The Village." The bridge is 171 feet long and swings 40 feet above the Arroyo Grande Creek. First built in 1875 by Newton Short, the bridge connected his property that was divided by the creek. The original bridge did not have sides! They were added in 1902. In 1911 the bridge was given to the City of Arroyo Grande. A severe storm in 1995 totally destroyed the original bridge and with the efforts and donations of local businesses, residents and some Federal funding, the bridge was reconstructed.