Famous coastal views and adventures await when you travel off the beaten path. Travelers can take the “Best Detour Ever” to easily loop around from Highway 101 in Paso Robles to Highway 1 to experience the best that SLO CAL's north coast has to offer.
Enjoy the “scenic route” by exploring the Central Coast’s inland towns and cities where you'll find many fun and unique stops - from historical attractions to modern hot spots. Just head west on Highway 46 through Paso Robles Wine Country then north on Highway 1 to find quintessential California, right here in SLO CAL.
Don’t Miss these Fun SLO CAL Sites
1) Mission San Miguel Arcángel: Walk through California’s 16th mission is considered by many to be the best preserved and most authentic of all the California Missions. Get a true taste of history at this historic landmark.
2) Paso Robles: Grab a beer at Barrelhouse Brewing or Firestone Walker Brewing on your way into Paso Robles. Stroll around the quaint downtown park filled with shops, art galleries, restaurants and tasting rooms.
3) Highway 46 Wineries, Vineyards & Distilleries: Paso Robles was recently named ‘Best Wine Country Town’ by Sunset Magazine and you can explore a wide variety of local establishments on the route there.
4) Scenic Viewpoint on Highway 46: On a clear day, this pullout is the perfect place to take that jealousy-inducing vacation pic with views of Morro Rock in the distance.
5) Cambria: Stop along Moonstone Beach to watch the waves crash against the shore, or visit Main Street for a unique antiquing experience.
6) Hearst Castle + Zebras: Take a tour of William Randolph Hearst’s glamorous showcase of art, architecture and gardens with panoramic views of unspoiled coastline and rugged mountains.Be on the lookout for the infamous Hearst Castle zebras that roam just south of the property as you approach Cambria.
7) Elephant Seal Vista Point: Watch as hundreds of elephant seals mingle, molt and tend to their pups on the scenic beach below. These silly seals are a classic Highway 1 wildlife experience!
8) Ragged Point + The Portal to Big Sur: With million-dollar-views to spare, this landmark offers iconic Highway 1 shores and crashing waves. Stop by the Ragged Point Inn to find ‘The Portal to Big Sur,’ a unique wooden sculpture and perfect photo op.
Additional Highway 1 Sights
Harmony: Don’t be fooled by its population size of 18, Harmony packs in glassblowing, wine tasting and a creamery making it the perfect recipe for a quick pit-stop.
Cayucos: Enjoy this iconic California beach town with miles of pet-friendly beach, surfing, kayaking, a historic pier and don’t forget to stop in at the utterly delicious Brown Butter Cookie Company.
Morro Bay: Catch glimpses of sea otters, seals, dolphins and whales by kayak or dig into salt water taffy, fresh fish by the pound and local oysters while enjoying views of Morro Rock and the bay.